Sunday, May 22, 2005

A New Life

How many of us get to live two lives? And have both of them be lives that one really enjoys?

I have enjoyed my nearly 17 years of fulltime work in the ER but as of today that chapter in my life is coming to a close as I turn the page on this chapter in my life. I have enjoyed the many patients that I have treated - almost all of them are friends. But night work has gotten harder as I have aged and I am looking forward to not having to work Friday nights any more so that I can attend church every Sabbath (Saturday) morning and enjoy the blessing of worshipping God with my church family. The older I get, the more I look forward to Sabbath: worship, singing, walking on the beach or in the woods, visiting friends or family, playing musical instruments. Sabbath is a little oasis in the turmoil of life that connects me closer to God and brings peace to my soul.

Monday I start full time work as a Medical Director for a disability insurance company where I have been working part time (1 - 2 days per week) since early November 2004. This new job will allow me to have every night (including Friday nights), weekend and holiday off AND will allow me to have some paid vacation time so that Jean and I can take some forays into the pre-retirement world. She hopes to visit our building lot in Florida some cold February week - soon. Or maybe visit our family (daughter, SIL and 5 young grandchildren in BC). Actually, I have accumulated a couple of "free" tickets using our credit card so...who knows!

OC

3 Comments:

At 1:04 PM, Blogger Cheryl said...

Congratulations! And isn't it appropriate that we're transitioning from Spring to Summer? May I also point out that Moses got a lot of mileage out of his 2nd career, and Churchill hit his stride only in the 3rd period of his. I am sure you will make very productive use of all your new spare time. In fact, I have a feeling it's probably booked already.

 
At 1:09 PM, Blogger Cheryl said...

By the way:

- I've added a link here to our blog index.

- There are two little girls here who would very much enjoy seeing their grandpa again. (That the older M's want to see you goes without saying.)

 
At 6:26 AM, Blogger LarryandJean said...

Thank you so much!

OC

 

Post a Comment

<< Home