Tuesday, April 04, 2006

A (Couple) Bad "Apples" In Every Fridge (or Pantry)

Tonight's "liquid" blueberry jam

Remember the post "Lightening Struck Twice"? I wanted to recycle that title.

Last night at the supper table there was a "discussion" as to whether the Welch's Grape Jelly was "bad": I said it was crystalized and my dearly beloved said that it was "fungus". To decide the point I tasted it and found nothing amiss. Actually, I tasted two small amounts. Jean later cleaned off the top of the jelly and to my discomfort it did not really look crystalized - it was just a small layer on the top that really did look like "colony" growth of some microorganism.

Last night I slept poorly: due to stomach pains. Later this morning that resolved after clearing the offending material. Avoiding, I hope, TMI/TGI.

This evening I brought up a brand new jar of blueberry jam to add to my homemade yogurt for my lunch tomorrow. I thought it strange that it seemed to "flow" in the jar when tilted. When I opened it, instead of being leery after last night I "plopped" a heaping spoonful into the yogurt jar only to note a somewhat "off" odor as I did so. I got a clean spoon and took a taste. Definitely a bit off. I tried it again to be sure(Idiot that I am). Jean confirmed my assessment and I went downstairs for another jar which was normal in appearance, odor and texture.

You'd think some people would learn. And explain to me how one ends up with two spoiled jars of fruit jelly/jam/preserves on consecutive nights, and one of them unopened/new?

4 Comments:

At 10:55 PM, Blogger Cheryl said...

Thermostat on the fridge?

 
At 11:47 AM, Blogger Sunny said...

Blech!

 
At 7:46 PM, Blogger LarryandJean said...

1. The Welch's Grape was just 'very old'

2. The blueberry (local house brand) was unopened and in the basement 'pantry'

The refrigerator seems to be cycling just fine, though that was a very good point.

OC

 
At 9:30 PM, Blogger Cheryl said...

Now you see there is some merit until waiting until you have practically no food left in your pantry to finally get around to grocery shopping! That hasn't happened to us yet!

You've got to make sure you doing FIFO inventory management in your basement "pantry" vis LIFO

"First in - first out" vs "last in - first out".

 

Post a Comment

<< Home