Sunday, January 22, 2006

I Got Stopped - But I'm Home

Today was the day to take my Mom from our house to my sister's house in northern Vermont. We left the house at about 8:05 AM and made a couple stops: one for gas before we left Maine for the higher gas prices of New Hampshire and Vermont; the second was for a bathroom break.


The day was gorgeous and the view of Mount Washington at Crawford Notch was just wonderful. There was fresh snow on the roads (still) and the mountains. The trip north took about 3 hours 34 minutes (~150 miles).

While there I had a tour of their house, which once belonged to one of our aunts on our Dad's side, got Mom's belongings into the house and they fed us a wonderful meal. Before leaving I put a link to my blog on their computer toolbar - a warm welcome to them!

The trip home started at 1:06 PM and went very well. Until I had come through Gray, Maine. I missed a turn that would have brought me home the way we went - but I had been navigating on the way out with a step-by-step travel map I had printed out on my Delorme Street Atlas 2006 last night. On the way back I had hoped to be able to retrace my steps, at least figuratively.

It was not to happen. I missed at least one turn and ended up on a road to Yarmouth on which I do not recall ever driving before. I did not see a speed limit sign and was frankly looking to figure out where I was and where I was headed. I should have pulled over and checked a map, to be honest.

I didn't. Until the Cumberland County Sheriff stopped me for speeding. After he told me what the speed limit was I told him I was sure that I was exceeding the speed limit by at least 10 mph and probably more. He agreed. I apologized for that and indicated that I must have missed the speed limit sign. He agreed again and retreated to his cruiser with my license and registration.

When he returned to my car, he handed me back my documents and indicated that he was giving me a warning to drive more safely. I thanked him and mentioned that I thought I had just missed a turn and frankly didn't know where I was or where I was heading as I had not been on this particular road before. He asked if I was headed home? Yes, I was and would be grateful to know that best route. He directed me to continue on the road I was taking.

In the future I will:

1. Have been on that road and will remember (hopefully) that the speed limit is less than what the road appears capable of tolerating safely,

2. Take THAT road going both ways as it is A) a much simpler route, B) has much better quality road(s), and C) really didn't add a significant amount of time due to the overall higher speed limits.

So my brother-in-law's prayer that I would have a safe trip home was answered. I'm off to look for some supper! Jean will be home soon from her committee meeting at the conference office, I trust.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home