Friday, July 08, 2005

One Down, One To Go

One Down:
Poor Allison had her wisdom teeth out two days ago and is struggling through those first couple of days of swelling and pain. All the women in the local family have been spending a bit of time over helping her with fluids, food and medication schedules. I keep repeating to myself "She really will be glad to have this behind her when she's feeling better."

And the One To Go...
is Miss Mossflower with her sidekick Mopsy Kitty (AKA Pumpkin Pants - or something like that, because her hindend has an orange patch on the lefthand side). GMP and Miss Mossy leave early Monday morning to move her down to her Grammie's house where she will be "Girl Friday" for the near future. And maybe longterm if it works out for both of them.

Work Goes On:
My work list is down to 13 files tonight...from the 30s when I came on board fulltime 6 weeks ago.

Don't worry - it's that low ONLY because there are nurses on vacation currently. It will go back up a bit when they are back from enjoying the Maine summer.

Paid Time Off:
It seemed unreasonable that I would get the same amount Paid Time Off for THIS year, when I started in May as I will get next year when I work all 12 months. So I called Human Resources.

"No, that's NOT right. I'll check the numbers and call you back."

2 minutes later...

"Doctor, you are a company officer." Me: "Yes, I am."
"Then that is NOT a mistake. There are different rules for officers of the company. You DO get all of that. You can carry over 40 hours into next year if you don't use it all."

So...

We get to take a Vacation! Time to be determined but it sounds like we'll get to visit our grandchildren again this year - now THAT'S something to look forward to!

Sobering Thought:
I can work on files from work from anywhere in the world as long as I have a broadband connection. So the GMP pointed out today. She is right, of course. So if it is raining and she is reading to children, I can break out my work laptop and log onto my work's mainframe and do half a day's work.

A Happier Thought:
I checked the Dell laptop case that comes with my work laptop and it appears that I can put my own laptop in a 2nd pouch of the case and carry them both along with me with one case so that we can have our built-in wireless connection for checking our own email and a set up that GMP is used to when traveling.

Lawn Care:
Don't worry about mowing the lawn when the remnants of a tropical storm are passing through. 'Nuff said. I'll mow when the weather clears - I happen to think that clover is cheery anyway!

Farm Co-Op:
Is this ever a good deal or what?! We get to pick vegetables from the community garden that the staff do all the planting and care for THREE times a week! And once a week we get up to 10 lb. of organic vegetables - and sometimes fruit, like the strawberries that we have enjoyed for the past 1 1/2 weeks. This week we have enjoyed greens (chard and kale), young peas (snow and snap), radishes as well as a few more strawberries that GMP and Qwerty picked.

3 Comments:

At 12:49 AM, Blogger Cheryl said...

YAY for vacation time! We'll have to check if our wireless gets signal up in Michael's room or not. It should. We can do a set up in there for you guys if you like!

Poor Allison - ouch - wisdom teeth are brutal! I got dry sockets when I got mine out. Of course medication schedules are some things - a certain someone who shall not be named told me that I didn't get medication for 12 hours because the freezing would last that long. Only that someone had his out with local and I was under general. Then the actual pain killer prescription hadn't been filled either - so it was Tylonal only. Point is - glad people are helping with medication over there! (not like that someone didn't have his hands full with 3 young children either - to give him credit).

 
At 8:02 AM, Blogger LarryandJean said...

My sympathies on the long delay getting analgesic after your wisdom teeth hit the bucket. It (and tonsillectomies) has to be among the more brutal surgeries that we do because it impairs our ability to take fluids and nourishment.

About the wireless, I was just thinking about using it in the living room, dining room, etc. Anyway, there are lots of possibilities.

 
At 12:03 AM, Blogger Cheryl said...

Oh me, oh my .. so in theory, you could come out pretty much whenever are able to arrange it.

Yes, we have signal upstairs - and pretty decent too. I have tested all over the house with the PDA as well as with my laptop upstairs in our bedroom.

Now, across the street is a different story ..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home