Sunday, August 28, 2005

We Buried A Friend

Yesterday was the funeral of a friend. A 58 year old friend who had been my dentist for a few years. He had attended Loma Linda University School of Dentistry in the 1970s. Last fall he started having problems with weakness and weight loss and was diagnosed 3 weeks before his death with ALS aka Lou Gehrig's Disease. His wife is a dear friend of mine from my first year in boarding academy. At least one or two of his children were friends with our children in their school years. It puts a whole new perspective on life when your 58 year old dentist is gone. The Brunswick SDA Church was packed to capacity with 40 - 50 people standing in the foyer during the entire service which lasted over an hour. The children, with spouses for those who are married, stood on either side of the coffin in front and greeted people coming up from each side. The line in the middle funneled to Cherry who stood in the center aisle talking with and hugging every one that came.

I have offered to help his wife thread the maze of legal and financial things that have to be done as most of her children are either away in college or married and living elsewhere in the country. I have compiled all of my financial health articles which were written for the Brunswick SDA Church Communique into a book so that she can read through the articles that might be most helpful for her. R. Wayne Clapp's Obituary

It got me thinking yesterday afternoon and evening. So I sat down last night and typed up a page of funeral preparation thoughts: favorite Bible texts, favorite hymns, favorite color (no surprise there, I suspect), favorite memories, etc. Things that I hope will smooth the way for any survivors when my time comes. It is the front page in my red trust book on the top shelf in my office. Jean suggested I just post it here on my blog but I'm not sure I ready for that!

1 Comments:

At 3:03 PM, Blogger Cheryl said...

Yes - sobering. I was friends with Marc and Janna (and Kerri somewhat) in high school and played cello with their family in churches quite a bit way back then. Two of the father's of high school friends of Allan's have died unexpectedly in the past month as well. Both younger than his dad by about 10 years.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home