Sunday, September 25, 2005

I Shaved Today

OK. So that is not an earth shattering event by any stretch of the imagination. But I don't usually shave on Sunday, so that presaged a "different" sort of a day.

Dilatory Greyhound

Perhaps a bit strong but...

Gumpa has stayed with us for the past 3 days: picked produce with me late Friday afternoon, went to church with us on Sabbath morning and went to Popham Beach with us Sabbath afternoon.

This morning he left for New York City to visit some relatives while Melissa spends a few more days here with Jean and, at least for the next day or so, Auntie Bethy and for Friday (build-a-bear day) and today (swim at the YMCA day) Auntie Allie too.

The bus was scheduled to leave at 8:20 AM and the website advised travelers to be at the bus stop 1/2 hour ahead of time. We were there 35 minutes early. I checked in with the clerk at the 7-Eleven which is the bus stop on Maine Street. Yes, 8:20 was right, though she allowed that the half hour early was "way overstated."

Indeed. She, it turned out, understated. The bus had not arrived at 8:30 AM so I decided to do that only thing the I know that has ever made something long overdue to finally happen: I made a phone call. Right on cue the bus pulled in at 8:35 AM. Gumpa embarked with about a dozen drawn from all walks of life, ages and ...maybe I won't go there. Let's leave it there. Suffice to say it was a diverse and interesting appearing group that embarked on the bus headed south.

Salivatory Stimulation

OK. So there is no such thing. So what if I made it up. It actually applies. Somewhat.

Jean has wanted to visit the model condominium during the weekly Sunday Open House for months. Today was the day. We walked over and were greeted by a young realtor with an attractive face. Jean didn't look south. I plead the fifth.

Understand: we have watched (and critiqued) as these units were being built. We know which units will have mold problems, which ones have iffy subfloors, which ones have warped roof trusses. We know these units as well, if not better than, the developer because we walk by and in them very regularly. And actually critiqued is too mild. I have frankly been critical of some of the building practices that have been used:

1. Press-board roofs (I understand subfloors and walls but not roofs in Maine)

2. Leaving roofs "open" without tar paper or shingles for up to 4 - 6 weeks with frequent rain storms

3. The use of 2"x4" trusses for the roofs on single family homes making them LOOK like 2 story homes with just "wasted space" overhead. This design, in a fire, has the roof collapse very quickly, compared to 2"x10" rafters which most of the other homes have.

That gives you the flavor of my opinion of this development despite some admittedly nice touches in the design and overall excellent landscaping design.

We were VERY impressed with the interior finish on the model unit, which is sold already with LOTS of options. It is a 3 bedroom unit (2 upstairs) with a finished basement and a sunroom. Gorgeous. And it should be for $369,000 for a quadriplex! That does include a 2 car detached garage and a $120 monthly bill for condominum fees. The fee increases for duplexes ($140) and singles ($160). One could easily covet...but we own ours and we paid nowhere near that much! We just need some cleaning out and...

Quadraphonic Sound?

Well, it could be if I were quads myself. While looking for a home made cello bow case for transporting a professional quality bow I dragged several clarinets out of my closet. Actually, three. That leaves just 3 more in the closet:

1. My first clarinet (all nickel and in need of a LOT of work to be playable)

2. My step-grandfather's clarinet (a plastic Albert System clarinet)

3. My wooden bass clarinet (which is playable, I just prefer to play Bb soprano clarinets).

The ones I hauled out include:

1. My second clarinet (Hallmark, made in France, in good shape and very playable - cost $100 my senior year in high school)

2. A Buffet Albert System A clarinet - belonged to a church member who died, his widow gave it to her doctor who gave it to me - I had it repadded and recorked, but it is NOT tuned to A440 so I need a different tuning barrel to play it with current bands/orchestras

3. A wooden (made in France) student clarinet which is very good and in good shape as I bought it from a music store after it had been overhauled and it was never played - I bought it for Debbie to play and she gave up on it

Then of course I have my two Bb Buffet clarinets:

1. The 1937 R-13 that I have played on for about 12 - 15 years

2. My new R-13 clarinet (which is not playable as I can't get the bell on the lower joint due to humidity.

I also have Allison't R-13 Buffet here to take down to Bill Street who I use for repairs on the Buffets to repad the lower joint. He will also look at the Buffet A clarinet.

Today I cleaned my old R-13, my Hallmark and the other student instrument. I oiled the keys on the last two and oiled the bore on both of my Buffets, the Hallmark and the student instrument.

In all of this I made a discovery: a 3rd Richard Hawkins handmade mouthpiece with a Rovener ligature. These are worth about $70 plus the cost of shipping so I was very glad to see them. I also found a Selmer HS* mouthpiece which is also a very good mouth piece.

I'm thinking that I ought to learn a little more and go into clarinet repair, sales and rentals!

Internet Musical Supply Orders

I decided that I no longer have the bow case in question, though we uncovered the need to a deep cleaning out of my closet...and the attic...and the basement. Oh, well. I went ahead and ordered a single cello bow case from Shar for $25. Done.

While we were in an "ordering mood" Jean found and ordered a chromatic tuner so that we can tune our instruments better. Long overdue. Boy, am I glad I found www.musiciansfriend.com! I've ordered a lot of supplies from them this fall and have always had free shipping as well as reasonable prices.

More later...

2 Comments:

At 12:21 PM, Blogger Cheryl said...

Wow - I didn't realize you had so many clarinets!

 
At 7:55 AM, Blogger Mama Bird said...

Neither did he!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home