Saturday, November 19, 2005

Problem Solved!

I tried Repair Re-Install and got booted into a Blue Screen of Death. I tried Windows Re-Install and got the BSoD repeatedly on each successive try. (I know, I know - those who do the same thing repeatedly and expect different results are ...)

I tried calling Dell Technical Support for my laptop problem. I was warned by a wise advisor that I would be connected to a 3rd world country but proceeded anyway. In the course of the preliminary routing I was directed to a "Pay For Service" line for out of warranty computers. That number was no longer in service and I was referred to another toll free number which gave me tinnitus when it connected me to a fax line. I returned to the Technical Support Line and heard a message about contacting Dell Online Chat, which I have previously used to get UPS Tracking Numbers after my order has been placed.

Off to the back room to set up the laptop and fire up my desktop computer for the chat. After about 1/2 hour the tech came on and for the next 45 minutes we worked on my computer's problem. I identifed up from that this was an "out of warranty" machine and that I had tried "pay for support" and the number was not in service and that the toll free tech support line had referred me as well as putting the diagnostic test error code in the subject of the chat session.

It was disconcerting that everything that I was asked to try didn't work. At all. Clt-Alt-D at the Dell splash screen was supposed to boot me to diagnostic testing. Instead it gave me a Safe Mode start up menu. F12 boot was supposed to give me a Bootable Device Menu that would include Boot to Utility Partition. It didn't. It did boot to the Bootable Device Menu that listed "Diagnostics" at the bottom. I told the tech that was how I got the error code. Finally she came back and told me...

"Your hard drive is bad and needs to be replaced."

At last! We know what is wrong and I should be able to fix that. Believe it or not, but the least expensive hard drive I could find is on Dell's website and the drive is discounted 20% and the shipping is discounted 60% this weekend. I'm actually getting a slightly smaller hard drive (40 GB) that is faster (5400 RPM) than the one currently in it (60 GB, 4200 RPM). Dell lists it as being compatible with my particular laptop.

We should be back up and running well before our next road trip. I'm so glad this happened now and not while we were in BC or worse yet, on the road somewhere else where there are no other computers available! God is good!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home